In 1919 a subscription list was opened to raise funds for an Old Comrades club room. In a message to the villagers, the secretary of the Old Comrades Charles Faulkner wrote “Our Membership is now well over 100 and we urgently require a club room. Arrangements have been made for a plot of land in Church Road. Unfortunately, we don’t have the funds to purchase an Army hut to serve as a club room which will form a lasting tribute to those who have fallen and to their dependents as well as providing a place where those who have fought in the Great War can meet. Therefore, on behalf of the comrades your donation and support will be gratefully received”
The appeal was a success and a wooden hut was put up as the first British Legion Hall. It was replaced in 1934 with a brick built club house followed by today’s large and popular multipurpose hall.
First World War veterans and other ex-service personnel on parade for the opening of the British Legion Hall in Church Road, Ferndown by Sir Richard Glyn in 1934.